While “What’s the answer?” will always be an important question for teachers to ask in math classrooms, there are many other questions that build math understanding.
- How did you get that answer?
- Does that answer make sense?
- Was there another way to get the answer?
- Is there another possible answer?
- What was easy about that? What was hard?
- What did you learn?
Asking varied questions prompts students to think about mathematics and helps them build a deeper understanding of math skills and concepts.